View RSS Feed

InTheCone

December/January – Abominable Weather Ahead?

Rate this Entry
by on 12-01-2017 at 09:02 AM (13914 Views)
Stick a fork in it, The Season of DOOM is over! Now it’s time to sit back by the fire and enjoy the Frosty days ahead, or not.
Long term predictions from the CPC are showing the south to be warm and dry through the winter…..






As we well know, it only takes one deep cold intrusion to freeze everything solid, especially in S. Fl. We’ll have to keep an eye on the radar and hope no blue blobs make it too far south.



Abominable weather ahead? I guess we'll just have to Bumble along to find out!

Submit "December/January – Abominable Weather Ahead?" to Twitter Submit "December/January – Abominable Weather Ahead?" to Facebook

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
  1. NavarreMark's Avatar
    Speaking of Needles and braking down. I've been broken down and stranded in Needles more than any place in the world bar none.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6qw_yeo6o
  2. Tulsahurrcane's Avatar
    That’s so funny because when I was a kid with my family driving to California pretty sure it was Needles where we were broke down and stranded. Just texted my mom to verify.

    With 5 kids and a dog in the car. We were okies.
  3. hurricat's Avatar
  4. Ossqss's Avatar
    Mark that sucks sucking air. 300k is not bad for an engine, no matter.

    On the other hand, for some poor folks, sucking soda's, suck's now. I wonder if beer is exempt? What are these taxing people thinking?

    Seattle Soda Tax Prompts Price Increases, Small Business Pain - Hit & Run : Reason.com
    Updated 01-11-2018 at 04:29 AM by Ossqss (You can bet it will modify purchase behaviors. Idiots,)
  5. Ossqss's Avatar
  6. Tulsahurrcane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossqss
    Love it. You have eclectic musical tastes and actually I’m listening to more music these days because of you! Thanks For my nightly fix!
  7. InTheCone's Avatar
    Good Morning Bunkerites!

    Nice to hear that the Goofy is getting an upgrade, it needs all the help it can get.

    The weather across the country is many shades of yuck this morning, must be winter - too winter. Nice to hear from Dr. Mark!

  8. Aislinn's Avatar
    Good morning, afternoon and evening, everyjuan! Mark, hope you enjoy your stay in Needles and are able to leave just before you get bored there. Oss, I'm also loving the music. I go to listen to it and then end up clicking on something else, and then something else....

    Saga of the Office: Insurance adjuster finally shows up yesterday and literally asks to see the damaged items. Yeah, um, they were covered in you know what and we burned them. Servpro had already removed all they had pulled out or taken out. Insurance company said they will only cover content, not structure. What??!! But adjuster came and said insurance agent said he thought he wrote it for the building as well, which in insurance-ese means he now has to. At least that's what another insurance person said and adjuster was walking around building directing servpro to tear this out and that out. Found more damage they didn't think was there. But so far structure is all good still.

    One nice surprise, found out a good friend from college was coming through Louisiana yesterday so we met up for a late lunch. We hadn't seen each other in forty years. We met up halfway and sat and talked for over three hours.

    Breakfast's on the sideboard: Chipotle Chilaquiles, Loaded breakfast potato skins, Avocado Toast with Chile Flakes and Crushed Pistachios, cheesy ham and hash brown casserole, cinnamon monkey bread, sausage balls, strawberry crepes, baked oatmeal, thick slices of honey ham with home fries, corned beef hash with cheese topped with two fried eggs, fresh fruit, Juice, Tea, coffee with flavored creamers to the side. Enjoy!
  9. NavarreMark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsahurrcane
    That’s so funny because when I was a kid with my family driving to California pretty sure it was Needles where we were broke down and stranded. Just texted my mom to verify.

    With 5 kids and a dog in the car. We were okies.

    LOL

    I figured you might appreciate that. I've always liked that tune. I'm not an Okie except by ancestry. My Mom grew up a poor
    half breed girl in the dust bowl days outside of Muskogee. Except for her camp follower days, she spent her adult life in
    NM, S CO and the CA desert. Back when my Dad was spending most of the 60s in Vietnam, she used to ship me off on
    summers to work on my uncles junk yard in Frederick OK just to get at least Juan of her sons out of her hair for awhile.
    So if I stretched it I could claim legitimate Okie status. If you're not familiar with Frederick, it's a GOD forsaken little town
    in Western OK. It still is. Was even more so in them days. Not much for teen to do there except get in trouble. Not
    that I would know anything about that. By the way, Modesto CA is full of Okie diaspora since the dust bowl days. They're on
    their 3rd and 4th generations of feeding on the gubernment wellfare trough.

    Needles is not a good place to be stranded in. Especially in summer. I remember Juan time when I was passing the time
    in the shade and shelter of a gas station awning watching the thermometer (which was in the shade) climb to over 130. Of
    course an establishment puke didn't take that reading so it's not official, BUT I KNOW. Hottest place I've ever been. Makes
    Death Valley seem cool in comparison.

    It's currently 40 in Barstow with clear skies. Should get up to the low 70s today.
  10. InTheCone's Avatar
    I think I may have stopped in Barstow for gas, but that was about all I can remember of that area. I liked driving through the desert areas, but breaking down in Needles during the summer is not my idea of a good time.

    Speaking of time - it's time for some chow!

    I'll have Chipotle Chilaquiles, Loaded breakfast potato skins, cheesy ham and hash brown casserole, sausage balls, thick slices of honey ham with home fries, corned beef hash with cheese topped with two fried eggs, and coffee - TYVM Aislinn & good luck with the insurance people, they don't really have good hands
  11. InTheCone's Avatar
    DOOM approacheth, or maybe just cold air....

  12. Tulsahurrcane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavarreMark
    LOL

    I figured you might appreciate that. I've always liked that tune. I'm not an Okie except by ancestry. My Mom grew up a poor
    half breed girl in the dust bowl days outside of Muskogee. Except for her camp follower days, she spent her adult life in
    NM, S CO and the CA desert. Back when my Dad was spending most of the 60s in Vietnam, she used to ship me off on
    summers to work on my uncles junk yard in Frederick OK just to get at least Juan of her sons out of her hair for awhile.
    So if I stretched it I could claim legitimate Okie status. If you're not familiar with Frederick, it's a GOD forsaken little town
    in Western OK. It still is. Was even more so in them days. Not much for teen to do there except get in trouble. Not
    that I would know anything about that. By the way, Modesto CA is full of Okie diaspora since the dust bowl days. They're on
    their 3rd and 4th generations of feeding on the gubernment wellfare trough.

    Needles is not a good place to be stranded in. Especially in summer. I remember Juan time when I was passing the time
    in the shade and shelter of a gas station awning watching the thermometer (which was in the shade) climb to over 130. Of
    course an establishment puke didn't take that reading so it's not official, BUT I KNOW. Hottest place I've ever been. Makes
    Death Valley seem cool in comparison.

    It's currently 40 in Barstow with clear skies. Should get up to the low 70s today.
    Well that’s cool to know. I’m from Sayre OK and we played Frederick in Basketball. The Sayre teams ahead of us were state champs. But our team was awful no way around it. I shared some dust bowl art and info not long back. As a postscript to the car breakdown I talked to my sister and a brother because our most vivid memory of the whole trip was the moment we first broke down, Sport our birddog pooped on my sisters foot. Chaos ensued. Screeching, crying dog howling. It’s hilarious now but awful at the time. Thanks for bringing that up!!
  13. blakels's Avatar
    Hi everyone. 52 degrees here but for long....we have a historic and unprecedented FROPA barreling toward us. Right now it's 47 in Green Bay and 11 in the Twin Cities.

    Looks to hit tonight and turn the tail end of an inch of PWATS into a couple inches of snow tomorrow. 2 days ago the Euro had us getting 16" but that shifted to the coast.
  14. InTheCone's Avatar
    Afternoon T & Blakels!

    The old poop on the shoe trick, causes mayhem every time, especially in a car!

    Sounds like winter is making a comeback for everyJuan, but 2" of snoh is a lot better than 16.
  15. McBart ender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossqss
    Mark that sucks sucking air. 300k is not bad for an engine, no matter.

    On the other hand, for some poor folks, sucking soda's, suck's now. I wonder if beer is exempt? What are these taxing people thinking?

    Seattle Soda Tax Prompts Price Increases, Small Business Pain - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Soda is getting so taxed in some areas that a black market is almost assured.

    I'd be willing to invest. Do we know anyJuan with smuggling experience?
  16. blakels's Avatar
    Possibly somejuan who has spent considerable time in Mexico. Hmmm, let me see if I can think of anyjuan.
  17. KanKunKid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavarreMark
    I suddenly began feeling masochistic and self loathing, so the natural conclusion was that I needed to go to California.
    So I loaded up the truck and drove to Barstow.

    When I crossed the AZ CA border at Needles I had to pass through the check station. When they asked me if I had any
    fruits and vegetables in the vehicle I said no. For the first time in my life despite countless crossings of that border I was
    Not waved through, but pulled over for a search. Not sure why. Maybe it was because I was towing a large trailer and
    Florida plates. Who knows? The only thing they found was the equipment in the trailer and 5 Slim Jims and a Pepsi in
    cab. Good thing I didn't have any veggies I guess. I've always been just waved through in the past. Even the time I had
    the trunk of my 67 Chrysler New Yorker filled to the brim with Grand Junction peaches.

    Oh well. It is what it is.

    I was in town for Juan day and my truck started overheating. I've had it since it was new and in 300K miles the guage has
    been rock solid at 200 degrees. This was the first time it ever overheated. It has a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, pressure
    cap and the water pump checked out okay and I couldn't figure out why it was overheating. I took it to the shop I know and
    they told me that I had a blown head gasket which was allowing air into the system. That was what I was afraid of. They
    said that it would cost $1,500 for the repair. I said screw that. The motor has 300K on it. I called Jasper engines and they are
    shipping a new crate motor out and it should be here tomorrow. With the install it's going to cost me $4.5K.

    Oh well. It is what it is.

    I will be here for a week or so and then be heading back when I feel that I have suffered enough.
    Been there, done that.
    But I just milled the heads and put on new gaskets. I sold the truck later.
    Blown head gaskets are a major cause of breakdowns in vehicles these days. I blame the use of aluminum in engines, especially heads.
    I stopped in at Winslow once, saw the "Standin' on a corner.." thing: "Such a fine sight to see.." must have been sarcasm. But, sometimes an impressionable young man sees a "fine sight" when he sees a "girl, my lord" (which rhymes with Ford, but when you see a girl and say "my lord!" it usually is a "fine sight") it isn't the place she is in.
    I have been by there several times in the last 4 years in my sojourns from California, where I have spent more time in the last 2 years than anywhere else since was in the Cancun area. Still, I saw no need to return to see the "fine sight" Jackson Browne referred to when he wrote it.
    I wish you the best Dr. Mark sir, many happy returns..

    Y'all knew this was coming:
  18. McBart ender's Avatar
    Rain on the way.

    Then cold. toooo too cold...

  19. InTheCone's Avatar
    Barkeep's right - going to get mighty frigid in the south. Would building a fire in the house be a bad idea

  20. Ossqss's Avatar
    Ha, eclectic? Yep, when you have to play music to maike folks happy who vary from Hindu to Goth's, you gotta be flexible. Good thing is there is music out there for everybody, and much of it is good stuff. I was rummaging through some old memories of songs I listened to in my past at certain stages and this one popped out from the early 80's when I was doing punch cards in my compurter science class. Yep, back then your software, was basically paper

    I had a boom box, with a cassette tape player (remember those?) and cranked this song up when I was in punch card jail late at night doing ForTran. It made the time go by, and everybody liked it because it fit the circumstances at the time. LOL, the good old days. This will stretch your limits for sure T! I think it still works today after 30 plus years. Ya gotta have a dark room,, monitor, keypunch machine, and stereo speakers more than likely. This came from their Album " Computer World". They saw the future for sure.





    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWTUt2RZh0

    This was the song I played with my study group in Stat and Accounting with my BA-55 Texas Instrument calculator, LOL) , from the same group

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7rJ4ufciM
    Updated 01-12-2018 at 03:12 AM by Ossqss (I think LF could be in that calculator song somewhere :-))
  21. Ossqss's Avatar
    Here is something fun. Gnight,



    https://youtu.be/UXfIRHoJu-o
    Updated 01-12-2018 at 04:12 AM by Ossqss (The toilet paper thing works, but ya gotta practice heights first.)
  22. InTheCone's Avatar
    Good Morning Bunkerites!

    Have to catch up with the music and fun stuff later, still a bit early for that sort of thing ATM. Maybe(a BIG maybe) some sneaux or ice for Aislinn later today....

  23. blakels's Avatar
    Good morning Cone. We're still waiting for FROPA here. Currently raining and 46 but it's progged to drop like a brick and change over to snow
  24. Aislinn's Avatar
    Good morning, afternoon and evening, everyjuan! Hey Cone and Blakels! Sneaux or ice? So far it's a good ways north of me. Sneaux I'd love, ice I can do without! Have to be in early today as TV crew coming in. It's 36 degrees, it'll be a bit chilly on the training field this morning.

    Breakfast’s on the sideboard: Cheesy ham and hash brown casserole, orange-cinnamon rolls, brown butter crab benedict with hollandaise sauce, mini bacon quiches, spiced shrimp with mango and cilantro, grilled chicken and fruit salad, lobster frittata, French toast with caramelized apples, tea or coffee. Enjoy!
  25. InTheCone's Avatar
    Morning Blakels & Aislinn!

    No FROPA here until later tonight and then it's going to be chilly for most of NEXT WEEK - which is not more interestinger

    BreakFast!

    I'll have Cheesy ham and hash brown casserole, brown butter crab benedict with hollandaise sauce, mini bacon quiches, and coffee - TYVM Aislinn! Going to be in the 20's there by tonight - stay warm!
  26. blakels's Avatar
    FROPA has arrived. Down 9 degrees in the last hour.
  27. InTheCone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blakels
    FROPA has arrived. Down 9 degrees in the last hour.
  28. NavarreMark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KanKunKid
    Been there, done that.
    But I just milled the heads and put on new gaskets. I sold the truck later.
    Blown head gaskets are a major cause of breakdowns in vehicles these days. I blame the use of aluminum in engines, especially heads.
    I stopped in at Winslow once, saw the "Standin' on a corner.." thing: "Such a fine sight to see.." must have been sarcasm. But, sometimes an impressionable young man sees a "fine sight" when he sees a "girl, my lord" (which rhymes with Ford, but when you see a girl and say "my lord!" it usually is a "fine sight") it isn't the place she is in.
    I have been by there several times in the last 4 years in my sojourns from California, where I have spent more time in the last 2 years than anywhere else since was in the Cancun area. Still, I saw no need to return to see the "fine sight" Jackson Browne referred to when he wrote it.
    I wish you the best Dr. Mark sir, many happy returns..

    Y'all knew this was coming:

    If it weren't such a high mileage motor I would probably have taken that course, but the motor has 300k on it, drippy seals
    and it has lost a little compression. It has lost a little bit of power and burns a bit more gas than when new. I figure I'd rather
    just get a new Juan now than do the nickel and dime thing keeping the old Juan going. Probably save money in the long run
    since I plan on keeping it. It's my favorite vehicle and it is in excellent shape and for some reason it just fits me. I can drive
    it for 24 hours straight and not get cramped and sore. Most vehicles I can only do about 8 hours before my body starts
    screaming "LET ME OUT". Besides, you are right about aluminum heads. They work great and have a lot of advantages
    until they are over temped and they're never the same after that even if milled. I need vehicles that I can trust to not leave
    me stranded in places like Needles or Winslow.

    It's kind of funny that with all the times I've passed through Winslow I've never taken the time to visit the statue thing. I
    I didn't even know it was there until 4 or 5 years ago. Considering I'm the kind of guy who'll drive 100 miles out of his way
    to see the worlds largest ball of string or the worlds largest lawn gnome you would think that I would have done that, because
    those are the kind of cultural experiences that you remember for a life time.

    Thanks for the well wishes and the same for yourself in all of your travels and endeavours.

    It's currently 42 with clear skies. Should get into the upper 60s today. No chance of rain.
  29. Landfall2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossqss
    Ha, eclectic? Yep, when you have to play music to maike folks happy who vary from Hindu to Goth's, you gotta be flexible. Good thing is there is music out there for everybody, and much of it is good stuff. I was rummaging through some old memories of songs I listened to in my past at certain stages and this one popped out from the early 80's when I was doing punch cards in my compurter science class. Yep, back then your software, was basically paper

    I had a boom box, with a cassette tape player (remember those?) and cranked this song up when I was in punch card jail late at night doing ForTran. It made the time go by, and everybody liked it because it fit the circumstances at the time. LOL, the good old days. This will stretch your limits for sure T! I think it still works today after 30 plus years. Ya gotta have a dark room,, monitor, keypunch machine, and stereo speakers more than likely. This came from their Album " Computer World". They saw the future for sure.





    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWTUt2RZh0

    This was the song I played with my study group in Stat and Accounting with my BA-55 Texas Instrument calculator, LOL) , from the same group

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7rJ4ufciM
    That's some funky music, Oss!

    I do not go back to Fortran, but I did boot up IBM AT's with floppies, and write my own macros for Visicalc and Lotus 1-2-3, so I have worked from the Command Line.

    My husband actually had an old monogram machine back in the 80's that ran off a punch-tape reader. Every style of lettering had its own tape. What a pain in the arse!!!! Now it runs off something like MS Word!
  30. KanKunKid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavarreMark
    If it weren't such a high mileage motor I would probably have taken that course, but the motor has 300k on it, drippy seals
    and it has lost a little compression. It has lost a little bit of power and burns a bit more gas than when new. I figure I'd rather
    just get a new Juan now than do the nickel and dime thing keeping the old Juan going. Probably save money in the long run
    since I plan on keeping it. It's my favorite vehicle and it is in excellent shape and for some reason it just fits me. I can drive
    it for 24 hours straight and not get cramped and sore. Most vehicles I can only do about 8 hours before my body starts
    screaming "LET ME OUT". Besides, you are right about aluminum heads. They work great and have a lot of advantages
    until they are over temped and they're never the same after that even if milled. I need vehicles that I can trust to not leave
    me stranded in places like Needles or Winslow.

    It's kind of funny that with all the times I've passed through Winslow I've never taken the time to visit the statue thing. I
    I didn't even know it was there until 4 or 5 years ago. Considering I'm the kind of guy who'll drive 100 miles out of his way
    to see the worlds largest ball of string or the worlds largest lawn gnome you would think that I would have done that, because
    those are the kind of cultural experiences that you remember for a life time.

    Thanks for the well wishes and the same for yourself in all of your travels and endeavours.

    It's currently 42 with clear skies. Should get into the upper 60s today. No chance of rain.
    I smell what you're steppin' in bro.
    I used to (but not any more) buy another used motor and rebuild it on a stand and then exchange it when it was done, but I lack the facilities for such at the present time and I'm too busy.

    As far as road comfort goes, my favorite cross country car is my S430 followed closely by my Tahoe, very close. I am driving now an '05 Explorer, and it lasts about 4 hours and I get "baby seat legs" (legs get restless and want to thrash and kick for no apparent reason) But the Tahoe needs some tires and I didn't have time to get them taken care of. It needs new speakers and a new radio, which I have but didn't put in because it was too !@#$!#$ cold!

    As I drove from TN yesterday to WI, the temps dropped from 65 to 16 with a drizzle through Indiana which froze when I was on 80/94 as the temps were about 24, I aw the maps for today and heard the forecast for freezing rain and 4 inches of snow in Indiana and it looked worse in WI. But apparently I was looking at the map wrong or they, once again, lied to us (Oh yeah...that NEVER happens )
    So I awoke to dry ground and frigid temps.

    I was given the wrong address in WI near Madison, but it was actually supposed to be near Milwaukee airport (about 90 miles away) The forklift and the flatbed semi also went to the Madison address. They were turned away and got mad and said a few words that as Mark Twain said "...if found in a Sunday school book, would greatly injure its sale."
    So I too have to follow suit and go there now. I will be staying till Monday or Tuesday enjoying the amenities of the northern clime and the accent I used to love to hear from the fairer sex here.

    I may even have a pizza..The chances of fresh cheese are better here.

    So I will leave you all to your own devices, punch cards, etc

    Until the next report..

    Frozen Kid.....peace out!
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.5
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Image resizer by SevenSkins

Tabs System by vbSoporte - vBulletin en Español
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.